University of Bayreuth Fact sheet

Traveling to + living in Germany

Student visa information:

U.S. citizens do not need a student visa, but they will need to apply for a German residence permit at the respective Foreigners’ Registration Office in Germany.

Visa information 

Air travel:

Exchange students will be responsible for arranging and purchasing their own round-trip international airline tickets for dates appropriate for the term at the host university. Exchange students should only purchase tickets once UBT has confirmed the dates of arrival. Students who are nominated for the exchange are eligible for a travel grant from College International.

Nearest international airport: Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) or Munich Airport (MUC)


Studentenwerk Oberfranken manages student dorms on and off campus. Students admitted to the University of Bayreuth can apply for a room in the student dorms.

Pre-departure orientation: 

College International staff will provide an orientation near the end of the fall semester to help students prepare for their programs. Nominated students will also be invited to enroll in the one-credit “GLLC-G 291 Study Abroad: Before You Go” for the second eight weeks term.

Arrival information:

UBT provides an orientation welcome week for all exchange students before the beginning of classes.

A Buddy program is available for international students to connect with current UBT students.

Estimated costs per semester:

  • Tuition: IU Tuition
  • Housing (dormitory or apartment, shared or private): $1,000-3,000
  • Food and incidentals: $1,500-2,000
  • UBT Semester fee: $130
  • OVST administrative fee: $238

    Plus insurance, residence permit, airfare

Learn more about ASPIRE Exchanges

Need assistance viewing our content?

Some content may not be viewable using assistive technologies. Please contact us if you require assistance.